Newfield was formed, before Tompkins County was created, from the Town of Spencer (in Tioga County) in 1811 as the “Town of Cayuta.” In 1822, the town assumed its current name.

During the Depression many abandoned farms were turned into conservation lands. Newfield contains one of New York State’s few remaining covered bridges.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 59.0 square miles (152.7 km²), of which, 58.9 square miles (152.5 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it (0.15%) is water.

The south and west town lines are the border of Schuyler County.

New York State Route 13 is a northeast to southwest highway in Newfield. Conjoined New York State Route 34 and New York State Route 96 form a north-south highway in the eastern part of the town.

Stay Near This Town

Select a B&B by clicking on the FLBBA icon from the map above or choose from the list below to find out more about this Bed & Breakfast.

  • Enfield

    Enfield Manor

    Enfield Manor, a Greek Revival style farmhouse dating from 1846, is situated on 15 acres of certified organic land, a haven for wild life and a paradise for bird lovers.
    Learn More…